Tuesday, November 25, 2014

{Mission-Minded}

Some preach that you should go on a missions trip just to be able to say that you went on one. Others think that it is a feeble and useless attempt to help the less fortunate, in another country, whom are beyond help. A social statement. A cry into the darkness. A waste of money and supplies. A trip for the "fun" of it. An attempt to buy salvation through winning others. A situation too far out of your comfort zone to experience. However, after going on a missions trip myself, I find none of these to be true in the least.

Some say you can't be a Christian if you never go on a missions trip. They say that you are being selfish and God wouldn't like it. False. You do not have to leave your country or even city to have a heart for missions. There are people in your own city that need the loving compassion and gentle help just as much as someone around the world does. True. To see these opportunities, we must stay missions-minded and watchful. Proverbs 31:20 says, "She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy." It does not say that she had to go across the country to do it. She simply went about her daily routine, looking for opportunities such as these to lend a helping hand to those who need it.

Yalí, Nicaragua. A small city I will never forget. Filled with people I will always remember. Containing sites that I will never unsee. Where I spent one of the best and eye-opening weeks of my entire life. The minute we pulled up in the bus and I saw masses of children jumping and waving excitedly to people they'd never seen before, I recognized their innocence and openness. They rushed to welcome and greet us despite the language barrier and the unfamiliarity of it all. Here they were, standing outside meager homes with but a curtain for a door, eagerly awaiting the simple company and fellowship of strangers who looked or sounded nothing like themselves. Knowing that a large portion were probably not already saved, my heart broke. Thus, a mission for the week: showing God's love to others in hopes that they will accept and cherish his love and gift of salvation.

A large part of a missions trip is getting out of your comfort zone. As quite an introvert sometimes, I loathe public speaking in front of an audience from anywhere to two or six-hundred. As I was asked to share the Gospel with a large group of high-school students, I was ready to decline and go about my way. However, I knew that I could not. I would have never been able to get up and speak like I did without God's help. I believe that they did not hear me, but God speaking through me. An amazing part is when you share the Gospel with a child and get to pray with him or her to accept Jesus one-on-one. The clear acceptance and readiness of the humble Nicaraguans was refreshing in a sense. Thus, when it was time to load the bus for the last time and head for home, we left with optimistic but heavy hearts.

I can say that my life was forever changed by this trip. When seeing their lack of necessities, you catch yourself thanking God for the little things more often. Like air conditioning, running water, a bed, a plethora of different clothes and outfits, and a filled to the brim grocery store on every other street corner. It is a different mindset to think that many people around the world do not and will not ever experience such luxuries that we are blessed with everyday.

To anyone whom is considering going on a missions trip, I say, go. But, go for the right reasons. Don't go because your friends are or you want to have a good summer. Don't go because you want others to think higher of you and your relationship with God. Matthew 6:1: "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in Heaven." Go because you want to share the Gospel and change people's lives for the better. Go because you want to tell someone who has never heard God's name that there is a loving Creator who indeed wants to be his or her Savior. Go because of the fact that you might change a child or adult's eternal destiny in a way that can never be repaid. Even if you do not go with the right intentions, I guarantee that when you come back, you will indeed see what I am talking about. Most of all, I urge you to pray about it. God has somewhere to use you whether it be a couple of minutes, states, or countries away.

So what does missions-minded mean to you? To me, it involves awareness and action on the fact that God has given me an opportunity to share the Gospel with someone. To share, you must be aggressive, consistent, concise, and truthful. It also includes follow-up and discipleship. Mentoring, having a mentor, or even praying for others are all great starts.

When preparing for a missions trip, people constantly say things to you like,  "Oh my, you will change their lives!" or "What a difference you'll make in their lives!" After spending a week in Yalí, Nicaragua, I have come to realize that it is not only their lives that were changed, but mine too. Perhaps, they changed my life more than anyone could ever fathom. And for that, I will be forever grateful.

~[Nostalgic] M
Coming Soon: Fervently on Fire