Monday, May 30, 2016

{Zoo Blues}

This isn't going to be an angry rant about animal cruelty, child endangerment, or hazards of zoo-life. It's not a petition, or an attempt to persuade. Just simply reflective thoughts.

But I honestly couldn't tell you that if that four-year old child was my son, whether I was the non-vigilant parent or the other parent who perhaps had to work that day, that I would let that gorilla have my son, my daughter, my child. And I'm not even a parent.

But you see, Someone did just that. When God relinquished His Son as a sin Offering for us, He said willingly, "Take my Son." That doesn't mean it wasn't hard for Jesus; did you read about Him in the Garden of Gethsemane? That doesn't mean it did not hurt God emotionally to sacrifice His only Son for unappreciative, sinful people; did you read about the way all of nature grieved as He breathed His last breath?

The truth is, we are like that gorilla. Not in the evolutionary sense, which opens up another can of worms, but in the behavioral sense. We toy with sin as the gorilla carelessly slung that boy around as he ran, causing him pain, as we cause Jesus when we sin. We take the Gift for granted, perhaps as the mother did until she recognized the immediate danger that her child was in. Instead, we should be treating our Salvation as the gorilla took the boy momentarily, under our figurative wings, protecting it.

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20